Work for us
Any current vacancies will be listed below. This page is updated on a regular basis, so please check back at a later date.
Title: Consultant in Palliative MedicineSalary: TBA
Consultant in Palliative Medicine
We are recruiting a full-time or two part-time consultants or two job-share partners. We would welcome applicants who would like to work both in the NHS and in the Hospice.
John Taylor Hospice
John Taylor Hospice is a vibrant, diverse, mutli-disciplinary, not for profit company with a turnover of £5.2 million. We have 150 staff. The people who work in the company own the company. Founded in 1910 we are the oldest non-denominational UK hospice, funded entirely by the public. We were then gifted to the NHS on 4th July 19948. On 1st October 2011 John Taylor Hospice CIC was authorised to operate the Hospice as a Social Enterprise. The NHS has a contract with us and provides a wide range of additional services. These are free at the point of use. The public, local businesses and grant giving bodies and our League of Friends pay for these services with direct investment and donation.
The purpose of John Taylor Hospice CIC is to ease the personal and social cost of illness and death just a little every day. We work across the spectrum of adult disease. We provide palliative care and proactive personalised care to match the aetiology of illness The public health evidence, the economic context, UK demographics and the continuing improvements in hospital care means that ‘palliative care’ is changing. We have undertaken a detailed review of our medical staffing needs informed by the public health evidence, national policy and patterns of demand. First on-call is proved throughout the year by GPs through service level agreements. We have a bold ambition to deliver depth and breadth in our medical workforce We are now building a new medical team fit for the future. .
The Consultant(s) in Palliative Medicine are key to these developments and will:
• Be supported by SAS grade doctors who hold first line patient accountability on IPU together with the opportunity to develop additional junior support
• Be part of an inter-disciplinary team of qualified clinicians, in cancer care and neurology, continence and diabetes care and tissue viability, family social workers, dieticians, physio and occupational therapists.
• Be supported by our unique palliative care pharmacy team, from technician to consultant grade as well as nurses who are independent prescribers
• Have the opportunity to take a the lead for education and training
• Be a member of the local cancer network
• Have medical back up through service level agreements with experienced local General Practitioners who provide on-call cover and medical care on a roistered basis. Our Associate Medical Director has over 25 years’ experience in palliative care is also a GP
• Work with other Medical Consultants in-house from anaesthetics, elderly medicine and old age psychiatry
• Have the opportunity to train at the Kings Fund on leadership at the point of care
Our previous Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Dr Brenda Ward, is more than happy to be contacted to discuss the post at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact our Clinical Director Marie Bradley 0121 465 2000 or email@example.com
John Taylor Hospice is part of the NHS pension scheme and pension payments will be automatically made where Consultants are in this scheme. The CIC also has a company pension.
Title: Clinical Nurse Specialist Triage – Macmillan AdoptedSalary: Band 6 or 7
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Clinical Nurse Specialist to join our Community Specialist Palliative Care team at John Taylor Hospice as our Triage Specialist Nurse.
The successful candidate will join our highly trained, motivated and innovative Team. You will work as an autonomous practitioner, using expert assessment and symptom control skills to respond to calls to the advice line. You will be able to offer quality professional clinical advice and to signpost callers to other appropriate services in order to maximise patients’ quality of life and provide support for their family and carers.
You will be part of an extended multi professional team, which includes, Pharmacists, Dietitians, Physiotherapists, Occupational therapists, Social Workers, Hospice at Home along with the Clinical Nurse Specialist team. Also working with District Nurses and GP practices to ensure the appropriate support is available to all of our palliative patients.
You will have clinical experience within Specialist Palliative Care in order to be able to contribute to the operational business planning and development of the team, working closely with the Community Palliative Care Manager.
There will be ongoing support and professional development opportunities available from the Hospice and Macmillan Cancer Support.
Closing date 9th December 2014
Interview date 17th December 2014
For further information please contact our Clinical Business Manager Jan Hipkiss on 0121 465 2000
Title: Specialist Clinical Pharmacist – Palliative CareSalary: 39,443 - 47331 pro rata
We are pleased to offer this exciting opportunity to join an established and innovative multiprofessional team, delivering specialist clinical services to palliative patients in their preferred place of care. The post holder will manage the Clinical Pharmacy team and support the delivery of care to patients on the clinical pharmacy caseload both in community setting and within the in-patient unit of the hospice itself. You will be expected to provide specialist clinical pharmacy advice to professionals involved in the care of John Taylor Hospice CIC patients both within and external to the organisation. In addition you will support the development of procedures, guidelines and clinical care pathways. You will be expected to lead in the development and support the delivery of a safe and effective medicines management and education service at John Taylor Hospice CIC.
We are looking for a patient focussed pharmacist with a strong clinical background and experience in palliative care. You will require excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work flexibly as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide high quality care.
The post is fixed term intended to cover for maternity leave. 22.5 hours per week
The closing date for this post is 24 November 2014. To apply please use the links below.
Title: Staff Nurse. Band 5. RotationalSalary: 21,176 - 27,625
John Taylor Hospice is the oldest non-denominational hospice in the UK, we have been alongside the people of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands for four generations. Our founders gifted us to the NHS on 5 July 1948 and on 1 October 2011 we became independent once more as a social enterprise. We work on behalf of the NHS and local people and since 2011 our company has secured different and new investors, local people, partnership investment with national organisations and local businesses. In April at our AGM we launched our new company plan and we are now recruiting to a number of key posts that put lived experience and emerging best practice at the heart of what we do. If you want to set the standard in palliative care and would like to work in a company that you can also own, we would love to hear from you.
The Hospice is looking for enthusiastic and motivated staff, to join a team caring for palliative patients within a variety of settings. We aim to support and advocate choices at end of life, promoting living well until dying well.
Informal Enquiries to Gale Clarke – Modern Matron 0121 465 2000
To apply for this post, please use the links below.
Title: Volunteers for fund raisingSalary: NIL
John Taylor Hospice needs you!
We urgently need volunteers to work alongside the Community Investment Crew.
Do you tick any of the boxes below?
· You have a few hours spare each month?
· You would like to take on one of our exciting new volunteer roles?
· You enjoy working with people and want to work within the community.
We are looking for:
· Volunteer Collection Can Co-ordinators (this does not mean standing with a can collecting money).
· Volunteer Bucket Collection Co-ordinators.
· Volunteer Recycling Co-ordinator.
· Volunteer Ambassadors at events.
· Volunteer leaflet delivering.
If you are interested just call: Jan Nevett for a chat on 0121 465 2000 or email Janet.Nevett@nhs.net
Title: Volunteer HousekeeperSalary: Volunteer
We are currently reaching out for willing individuals to volunteer their time and work within a team of skilled, caring and friendly Housekeepers to assist with daily domestic duties.
What will I be doing?
- Assisting with light housekeeping duties, from vacuum cleaning, general tidying, cleaning windows, assisting with laundry or washing up.
- You will be undertaking the same mandatory training as a paid employee, giving you the support and knowledge of working in a safe hospice environment.
- The opportunity to work within a broad Corporate and Commercial Services team, giving you the opportunity to gain experience in other fields.
What skills will I need?
- You will need to work well within a team environment and communicate efficiently.
- You will need to lead with your ‘Aesthetic Eye’ in maintaining a comfortable, clean, safe and welcoming hospice.
How much of my time do you need?
Ideally we would like you to commit your mornings to us. Preferably between the hours of 9:00 – 14:00 Monday - Friday. However, we appreciate your time wherever you can slot in.
If you have any questions or queries in relation to this exciting role, please forward them on to Rhys Blair at John Taylor Hospice on 0121 465 2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you.