Work for us
Any current vacancies will be listed below. This page is updated on a regular basis, so please check back at a later date.
Title: Consultant in Palliative MedicineSalary: TBA
Consultant in Palliative Medicine
We are recruiting a full-time or two part-time consultants or two job-share partners. We would welcome applicants who would like to work both in the NHS and in the Hospice.
John Taylor Hospice
John Taylor Hospice is a vibrant, diverse, mutli-disciplinary, not for profit company with a turnover of £5.2 million. We have 150 staff. The people who work in the company own the company. Founded in 1910 we are the oldest non-denominational UK hospice, funded entirely by the public. We were then gifted to the NHS on 4th July 19948. On 1st October 2011 John Taylor Hospice CIC was authorised to operate the Hospice as a Social Enterprise. The NHS has a contract with us and provides a wide range of additional services. These are free at the point of use. The public, local businesses and grant giving bodies and our League of Friends pay for these services with direct investment and donation.
The purpose of John Taylor Hospice CIC is to ease the personal and social cost of illness and death just a little every day. We work across the spectrum of adult disease. We provide palliative care and proactive personalised care to match the aetiology of illness The public health evidence, the economic context, UK demographics and the continuing improvements in hospital care means that ‘palliative care’ is changing. We have undertaken a detailed review of our medical staffing needs informed by the public health evidence, national policy and patterns of demand. First on-call is proved throughout the year by GPs through service level agreements. We have a bold ambition to deliver depth and breadth in our medical workforce We are now building a new medical team fit for the future. .
The Consultant(s) in Palliative Medicine are key to these developments and will:
• Be supported by SAS grade doctors who hold first line patient accountability on IPU together with the opportunity to develop additional junior support
• Be part of an inter-disciplinary team of qualified clinicians, in cancer care and neurology, continence and diabetes care and tissue viability, family social workers, dieticians, physio and occupational therapists.
• Be supported by our unique palliative care pharmacy team, from technician to consultant grade as well as nurses who are independent prescribers
• Have the opportunity to take a the lead for education and training
• Be a member of the local cancer network
• Have medical back up through service level agreements with experienced local General Practitioners who provide on-call cover and medical care on a roistered basis. Our Associate Medical Director has over 25 years’ experience in palliative care is also a GP
• Work with other Medical Consultants in-house from anaesthetics, elderly medicine and old age psychiatry
• Have the opportunity to train at the Kings Fund on leadership at the point of care
Our previous Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Dr Brenda Ward, is more than happy to be contacted to discuss the post at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact our Clinical Director Marie Bradley 0121 465 2000 or email@example.com
John Taylor Hospice is part of the NHS pension scheme and pension payments will be automatically made where Consultants are in this scheme. The CIC also has a company pension.
Title: Staff Nurse. Band 5. RotationalSalary: 21,176 - 27,625
John Taylor Hospice is the oldest non-denominational hospice in the UK, we have been alongside the people of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands for four generations. Our founders gifted us to the NHS on 5 July 1948 and on 1 October 2011 we became independent once more as a social enterprise. We work on behalf of the NHS and local people and since 2011 our company has secured different and new investors, local people, partnership investment with national organisations and local businesses. In April at our AGM we launched our new company plan and we are now recruiting to a number of key posts that put lived experience and emerging best practice at the heart of what we do. If you want to set the standard in palliative care and would like to work in a company that you can also own, we would love to hear from you.
The Hospice is looking for enthusiastic and motivated staff, to join a team caring for palliative patients within a variety of settings. We aim to support and advocate choices at end of life, promoting living well until dying well.
Informal Enquiries to Gale Clarke – Palliative Services Manager. 0121 465 2000
To apply for this post, please use the links below.
Title: Volunteer Front of House AssistantSalary: Voluntary
This is an opportunity to join John Taylor Hospice as a Front of House Assistant Volunteer
You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, be warm and friendly and be sensitive to the needs of visitors and callers to the hospice.
As a member of the front of house team you will demonstrate a “can do” attitude and be able multi task.
We require volunteers for the following shifts:
If you would like more information about this role, please contact the Front of House Manager, Jackie Galpin on 0121 465 2000. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Title: Volunteers for fund raisingSalary: NIL
John Taylor Hospice needs you!
We urgently need volunteers to work alongside the Community Investment Crew.
Do you tick any of the boxes below?
· You have a few hours spare each month?
· You would like to take on one of our exciting new volunteer roles?
· You enjoy working with people and want to work within the community.
We are looking for:
· Volunteer Collection Can Co-ordinators (this does not mean standing with a can collecting money).
· Volunteer Bucket Collection Co-ordinators.
· Volunteer Recycling Co-ordinator.
· Volunteer Ambassadors at events.
· Volunteer leaflet delivering.
If you are interested just call: Jan Nevett for a chat on 0121 465 2000 or email Janet.Nevett@nhs.net
Title: Volunteer Drivers and HostessesSalary: Voluntary
Volunteer Drivers and Hostesses
Do you have spare time?
Would you like to make a difference to our patient’s time at John Taylor Hospice?
If so you would be perfect to join our Heart of the Hospice team. We need keen and reliable individuals who would be willing to volunteer for one day a week in the Day Hospice. Our Day centre gives patients a break away from their normal lives to socialise with other patients and take part in a wide range of activities.
Assisting in transporting patients to and from their homes to John Taylor Hospice is a vital part of our Day centre. Our patients need help with transportation who are unable to transport themselves. You could make the difference
Having time to sit and socialise with the patients could make the patients time here special in itself, you could listen to the patient’s life experiences and share some of your own, while this can be very beneficial to the patients, it can be very rewarding to the volunteers who share their time with us.
If you are interested and would like more information please contact
Phillip Murphy – Heart of the Hospice Manager
0121 465 2000