Work for us
Any current vacancies will be listed below. This page is updated on a regular basis, so please check back at a later date.
Title: Consultant in Palliative MedicineSalary: TBA
Consultant in Palliative Medicine
We are recruiting a full-time or two part-time consultants or two job-share partners. We would welcome applicants who would like to work both in the NHS and in the Hospice.
John Taylor Hospice
John Taylor Hospice is a vibrant, diverse, mutli-disciplinary, not for profit company with a turnover of £5.2 million. We have 150 staff. The people who work in the company own the company. Founded in 1910 we are the oldest non-denominational UK hospice, funded entirely by the public. We were then gifted to the NHS on 4th July 1948. On 1st October 2011 John Taylor Hospice CIC was authorised to operate the Hospice as a Social Enterprise. The NHS has a contract with us and provides a wide range of additional services. These are free at the point of use. The public, local businesses and grant giving bodies and our League of Friends pay for these services with direct investment and donation.
The purpose of John Taylor Hospice CIC is to ease the personal and social cost of illness and death just a little every day. We work across the spectrum of adult disease. We provide palliative care and proactive personalised care to match the aetiology of illness The public health evidence, the economic context, UK demographics and the continuing improvements in hospital care means that ‘palliative care’ is changing. We have undertaken a detailed review of our medical staffing needs informed by the public health evidence, national policy and patterns of demand. First on-call is proved throughout the year by GPs through service level agreements. We have a bold ambition to deliver depth and breadth in our medical workforce We are now building a new medical team fit for the future. .
The Consultant(s) in Palliative Medicine are key to these developments and will:
• Be supported by SAS grade doctors who hold first line patient accountability on IPU together with the opportunity to develop additional junior support
• Be part of an inter-disciplinary team of qualified clinicians, in cancer care and neurology, continence and diabetes care and tissue viability, family social workers, dieticians, physio and occupational therapists.
• Be supported by our unique palliative care pharmacy team, from technician to consultant grade as well as nurses who are independent prescribers
• Have the opportunity to take a the lead for education and training
• Be a member of the local cancer network
• Have medical back up through service level agreements with experienced local General Practitioners who provide on-call cover and medical care on a roistered basis. Our Associate Medical Director has over 25 years’ experience in palliative care is also a GP
• Work with other Medical Consultants in-house from anaesthetics, elderly medicine and old age psychiatry
• Have the opportunity to train at the Kings Fund on leadership at the point of care
Our previous Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Dr Brenda Ward, is more than happy to be contacted to discuss the post at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact our Clinical Director Marie Bradley 0121 465 2000 or email@example.com
John Taylor Hospice is part of the NHS pension scheme and pension payments will be automatically made where Consultants are in this scheme. The CIC also has a company pension.
Title: Staff Nurse. Band 5. RotationalSalary: 21,176 - 27,625
John Taylor Hospice is the oldest non-denominational hospice in the UK, we have been alongside the people of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands for four generations. Our founders gifted us to the NHS on 5 July 1948 and on 1 October 2011 we became independent once more as a social enterprise. We work on behalf of the NHS and local people and since 2011 our company has secured different and new investors, local people, partnership investment with national organisations and local businesses. In April at our AGM we launched our new company plan and we are now recruiting to a number of key posts that put lived experience and emerging best practice at the heart of what we do. If you want to set the standard in palliative care and would like to work in a company that you can also own, we would love to hear from you.
The Hospice is looking for enthusiastic and motivated staff, to join a team caring for palliative patients within a variety of settings. We aim to support and advocate choices at end of life, promoting living well until dying well.
Informal Enquiries to Gale Clarke – Modern Matron 0121 465 2000
To apply for this post, please use the links below.
Title: Speciality Doctor in Palliative CareSalary: TBA
Speciality Doctor in Palliative Care
John Taylor Hospice wishes to appoint a full- time or two part-time speciality doctors.
The vacancy has arisen due to our current speciality doctor successfully gaining a ST3 post in palliative medicine after a planned year at John Taylor Hospice.
John Taylor Hospice
John Taylor Hospice is a vibrant, diverse, multi-disciplinary, not for profit company with a turnover of £5.2 million. We have 150 staff. The people who work in the company own the company. Founded in 1910 we are the oldest non-denominational UK hospice, funded entirely by the public. We were then gifted to the NHS on 4th July 1994. On 1st October 2011 John Taylor Hospice CIC was authorised to operate the Hospice as a Social Enterprise. The NHS has a contract with us and we provide a wide range of additional services. These are free at the point of use. The public, local businesses and grant giving bodies and our League of Friends pay for these services with direct investment and donation.
The hospice includes a 20 bedded in patient unit, day hospice, MDT, Macmillan and Hospice at Home Teams. It also provides pre and post bereavement support to patients and their families.
The post holder will:
• Participate in the delivery of holistic clinical care to patients and families across in-patient and day hospice
• Support the educational programmes and governance needs of the in-patient unit
• Play a role in teaching medical students and members of MDT
• Be committed to their own continued professional development as a Palliative Medicine physician
Informal enquiries to Marie Bradley on 0121 465 2000
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date 28th Febuary 2015
Title: Community & Corporate Development ManagerSalary: Â£25,000 Per Annum
Do you have experience generating income in the commercial or not for profit sector? Could you identify key fundraising opportunities to help us make every moment matter?
We’re looking for an ambitious and target driven fundraiser to:
- Recruit, manage and develop supporters within the community in the Birmingham to maximise fundraising for John Taylor Hospice
- Identify individuals, companies and groups in our city to develop mutually beneficial relationships and support fundraising for the Hospice
- Provide excellent supporter care ensuring that everybody who supports John Taylor Hospice is valued and understands how they have helped make every moment matter, ensuring their long term support to John Taylor Hospice
At John Taylor, we are more than a Hospice. We sum up what we do in one simple phrase: Every Moment Matters. We understand why illness and death can mean intolerable anguish, be frightening, undignified and costly for all of us. We have been independent from the NHS for three years. We have grown our income and improved the care and support we can offer the people who need us. Now we need a Community and Corporate Development Manager to drive the success of our Community Investment Crew and help us reach our ambitious income targets. We can only provide care to families when they need it most if we generate the income required, so we need to ensure we drive and support our fundraisers as much as possible to help us achieve these high targets.
To join us in this demanding and rewarding role you’ll need to have:
* Proven experience of exceeding targets and working to KPIs in the commercial or not for profit sector
* Excellent ability to motivate and influence people
* Strong networking skills and proven ability to build relationships with a diverse range of people
* Demonstrative ability to effectively manage budgets and multi-tasking to meet tight deadlines
* Flexibility and willingness to travel where needed to support individuals, companies and groups
We’re looking for a Crew member who can make opportunities happen.
For inform enqiures please contact Katie Mitchell on 0121 465 2078 or email email@example.com
Closing date 31/01/2015
Interview date to be advised
Title: Volunteer HousekeeperSalary: Volunteer
We are currently reaching out for willing individuals to volunteer their time and work within a team of skilled, caring and friendly Housekeepers to assist with daily domestic duties.
What will I be doing?
- Assisting with light housekeeping duties, from vacuum cleaning, general tidying, cleaning windows, assisting with laundry or washing up.
- You will be undertaking the same mandatory training as a paid employee, giving you the support and knowledge of working in a safe hospice environment.
- The opportunity to work within a broad Corporate and Commercial Services team, giving you the opportunity to gain experience in other fields.
What skills will I need?
- You will need to work well within a team environment and communicate efficiently.
- You will need to lead with your ‘Aesthetic Eye’ in maintaining a comfortable, clean, safe and welcoming hospice.
How much of my time do you need?
Ideally we would like you to commit your mornings to us. Preferably between the hours of 9:00 – 14:00 Monday - Friday. However, we appreciate your time wherever you can slot in.
If you have any questions or queries in relation to this exciting role, please forward them on to Rhys Blair at John Taylor Hospice on 0121 465 2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Title: Volunteers for fundraisingSalary: Volunteer
JOHN TAYLOR HOSPICE
Need Help from
As a John Taylor Hospice volunteer you will find your passion, live your passion and pass it on!
You are needed as a volunteer in the Community Investment Crew. We do not expect you to commit a lot of your valuable time. Our request is for volunteers to be part of our Action Team who will attend an event or two during 2015 (depending on your own commitments). Each volunteer will benefit from a wide variety of volunteering opportunities within the Community Investment Crew Department. Volunteers will be asked to go to fun events to represent the hospice by either accepting a cheque on our behalf, or by taking care of a John Taylor Hospice stall at a fete or event.
John Taylor Hospice is dedicated to making every moment matter to all our patients and their families. We hold events in local communities and our campaigning work play a significant role in raising vital funds and public awareness of the services that the hospice offers. Volunteers add an invaluable dimension to the work of John Taylor Hospice - we need you to help us achieve more.
Are you interest? If so please contact Jan Nevett, Community and Corporate Development Assistant, on 0121 465 2000 and have a chat.